The mission of TAPIT is to enhance the professional image of translators and interpreters by educating the public and users of language services, while it stresses the importance of language proficiency through certification in one or more languages. TAPIT strives to bring together court, medical, community, and sign language interpreters and translators in the state of Tennessee and build upon their common interests and concerns in order to create a statewide presence which will:
1. Advocate on behalf of, and promote the interests of, the interpreting and translating professions in Tennessee.
2. Foster the highest level of ethical and professional standards of interpreting and translation in Tennessee.
3. Provide a forum for discussion of interpreting and translation issues among interpreters and translators, courts, legal services and health care providers, as well as with the agencies and individuals who contract for interpreting and translation services.
4. Publish a quarterly newsletter.
5. Organize and conduct courses and workshops for interpreter and translator training and continuing education.
6. Serve in an advisory capacity to interpreters, translators, courts, court administrators, attorneys, law enforcement, health care providers, and businesses regarding issues related to the professions of interpreting and translation.